Pleasant Township Towns and Villages
From History of Madison County, W. H. Beers & Co, Chicago, 1883
This township contains but one town or village within its boundaries. John J. Smith, written of as an early settler, came from near Mt. Sterling, Ky., and purchased quite a large tract of land in this township, embracing the ground upon which Mt. Sterling now stands. After over twenty years of pioneer work, there was no town or village in the township, and Mr. Smith, about 1828, surveyed and laid off some lots for a town, and platted the same, which was duly recorded at London June 26, 1839, under the name of Mt. Sterling, after his favorite town of Mt. Sterling in his native State. The first house erected was a small frame built by Jacob Alkire, and just opposite to it, on Columbus street, Mr. Alkire erected the second house. Both these houses are still standing, but in a very dilapidated condition, having now stood there over half a century. The first hotel was built and a tavern kept by Andrew J. Mure; he was succeeded by Mr. Benjamin Leach, and he by Robert Abernathy. Soon after, a second hotel was built and kept by John Peterson, located where Levi Southward's livery stable now stands.
Mr. Mure also opened the first store. Wilson & Graham were, however, the first to keep a good and general stock of merchandise. William D. Wood and Wesley Howard were two early merchants. The first carpenter was James Baker, who was quite an early settler and became somewhat prominent in the early progress of the place. Stephen S. Beale, the first shoe-maker of the town, was a native of Virginia, and settled here about 1834; he followed the shoe-making business for fifteen years; thence entered upon farming and became quite wealthy; owned 1,000 acres of land, besides moneys and personal property. He was a good financier and an energetic business man, a good neighbor and a useful citizen. William Atkins and Otho Williams were the first blacksmiths. The first physician was Dr. J. Gregory; the next, Dr. Leeds, and then Dr. D. E. McMillin, who is still a practicing physician of the place, where he located in 1837. Other early physicians were Dr. William McClintick, Dr. Elam Bodman and Dr. John Holton. The post office was established about 1840, with Rowland Wilson as Postmaster.
The town was incorporated March 12, 1845, and the first election held August 15, 1845, resulting as follows: Mayor, Lewis Timmons; Clerk, Smiley Hughs; Marshal, N. R. Stanford; Council, John H. Merrill, Dr. Samuel McClintick, C. W. Cozens, R. W. Evans and Dr. William McClintick. The Mayors of Mt. Sterling since its incorporation have been as follows: 1845, Lewis Timmons; 1850-51, C. W. Cozens; 1853, Samuel McClintick; 1854, Smiley Hughs; 1856, M. J. Kauffelt; 1858, G. J. Smith; 1859-62, Smiley Hughs; 1863, Benjamin Leach; 1864, Isaac Moore; 1865-67, N. J. Kauffelt; 1870. B. F. Thomas; 1872, Ira Buzidk; 1874-80, John M. Micodemus. Present officers of the incorporation (1882) are as follows: Mayor, Smiley Hughs; Council, W. F. Mercer, W. J. Hodges, L. Clausson, Taylor Snider and Adam Bailey; Marshal, Christopher De Long; Clerk, D. Bender; Treasurer, N. A. Riggin; Solicitor, B. F. Thomas; Civil Engineer, J. L. McCafferty.
The present business of the town is as follows: General stores, N. T. Tenney, Snider Bros., D. H. Douglass & Co., T. Neff, Mr. Crabb; hardware, N. J. D. Kauffelt, Riddle & Smider; groceries, C. Brown, James Clark; druggists, Dr. Samuel McClintick, Ewing Wood, Frank Mercer; Farmers' Bank, John Loofburrow, Cashier; bakery and restaurant, Frederick Wurm; boots and shoes, Andrew Kopensperger, J. Baughman; hotel (Rock House), Mr. Chevee, proprietor; livery, Nelson Riggin, Levi Southward; millinery, Miss Sarah Cannon, Mrs. Williams; book store and job printer, M. W. Schryver; physicians, Dr. D. E. McMillin, Dr. E. B. Pratt, Dr. Emery, Dr. Samuel McClintick; Civil Engineers, Samuel F. Rock, J. L. McCafferty; butcher, William Michael; tinner, L. Clausson; tailor, John Robery; barbers, Z. Burns, J. Bunch; gunsmith, Joseph Jones; wagon-makers, Smiley Hughs, Mr. Swisher, George Rentz; blacksmiths, P. A. Zahn, W. J. Hodges; buggy shop, James Denman; saddler and harness shop, W. Ingrim; tile manufacturer, George Michael; Postmaster, C. H. Hanawalt; undertaker, J. M. Nicodemus.
In April, 1871, M. W. Schryver commenced the publication of a newspaper, known as the Mt. Sterling Review. This paper he continued eighteen months, when he changed the name to the Husbandman, the publication of which he continued until May 1, 1874, when it ceased for want of sufficient support to justify the publisher to continue it.
Mt. Sterling, at the census of 1880, had a population of 482, and we feel justified in saying that there are few towns of its size situated fifteen miles from a railroad that presents a better appearance than this rural town. It is located in the midst of a rich and beautiful country; contains a class of active, energetic business men, men of wealth, intelligence and refinement, as is evidenced by their good buildings, fine schools and numerous churches. And had this thriving town the commercial advantages of a railroad, it would soon rank among the most active business towns of Madison County.
From Atlas of Madison County, J.A. Caldwell [Condit, Ohio, 1875]
It is located in the south-east part of the county, and also in the south-eastern part of Pleasant Township, on the west banks of Deer Creek, sixteen miles south east from London, with a population of 600, and was laid out in 1826, by John J. Smith, Esq., and incorporated 1845, and the incorporation line extended February 4th, 1873. for a few years its growth has been quite rapid. Many fine brick and frame buildings have been constructed along its principal streets, and a number of handsome residences have been built in different parts of the town. It contains, at the present time, three churches — a Methodist Episcopal, a Presbyterian, and a Christian; a banking house, called the Farmers' Bank, five dry goods stores, three groceries, two drug stores, and a No. 1 hotel, kept by Mr. W. Leach, called the Bostwick House; two harness shops, a hardware, tin and stove firm, two boot and shoe stores, two blacksmith shops, a carriage manufacturing establishment, a wagon shop, four physicians, and a good flouring-mill. Mt. Sterling possesses a spirited people. Its merchants and mechanics are prosperous. The neighborhood about it is made up of thrifty farmers, and its future is quite promising. There is a contemplated railroad by Mt. Sterling, whcih, when built, will start at Pomeroy, on the Ohio river, in Meigs County; thence to McArthur, Vinton County; then to Circleville, Pickaway County, and then by Mt. Sterling, and so on to London, the county-seat of Madison County; then pass on in a north-westerly direction, By Urbana, Champaign County; Sidney, Shelby County; Celina, Mercer County, and proceed in the same direction to Chicago; opening a communication for the transportation of the minerals of Southern Ohio, towards the northwest, and to transport the lumber of Wisconsin and Michigan to the mineral region. This road could be built from Pomeroy, on the Ohio river, to Charleston, in West Virginia, on the Great Kanawha, and there connecting with the Chesapeake and Ohio Railway, which is already built, opening a direct communication from Chesapeake bay to Chicago, passing through the great mineral regions, both of Ohio and West Virginia.
Back to Pleasant Township index